Managing - and protecting - enterprise data is a thankless task. It requires tons of upfront planning and budgeting. Often there's a byzantine-style system of InfoSec policies to navigate.
Cloud services, thankfully, dramatically simplify the exercise. When corporate data lives in the public cloud already, many different tools can be deployed via automation to hedge against risk. Further, many of these tools do not require large upfront investments in licensing fees or infrastructure.
Backup and Disaster Recovery (DR) are complex topics. But it all starts with analyzing your requirements, and evaluating different products that might fit the bill.
A Shortlist of Options to Consider
At CenturyLink, we have a few different options worth considering which are described below. Each service can be evaluated via automated deployment with very little upfront investment. From self-service backup, to full-featured Disaster Recovery (DR), we summarize four choices in this post. Outlining each option, to give you insight into which solutions are the best fit for your business needs, and how to get started.
CenturyLink Cloud Simple Backup Service
Data is the lifeblood of any organization. Keeping that data safely backed up and accessible in the event of file corruption is crucial. On top of that, organizations may have different data retention policies that govern how long certain types of information should be kept in backup and where it should be physically hosted.
In either case, you can easily backup and restore data with CenturyLink Cloud Simple Backup Service. For servers running in the public cloud, Simple Backup Service offers the ultimate in reliability and convenience. Just point-and-click to create backup policies that meet your requirements; then apply them to servers in the CenturyLink Cloud. From there, Simple Backup Service does the rest for you. Data is automatically backed up in secure Object Storage and retained according to the policy you defined. Restores are simple too. Select a "point-in-time" backup event, and click the restore button. Your data is automatically restored within minutes.
Highlights of Simple Backup Service
- Fully self-service and API accessible
- Create and apply customized retention policies
- Pay as you go and only for what you use
- Global availability
Getting Started with Simple Backup Service
- Availability: Simple Backup is currently in beta. Sign up today!
- Up and Running: Getting Started with Simple Backup Service Resource.
- Deployment Time: Instant! Define a backup policy for a server (or group of servers). The backup agent is installed immediately on the server.
SafeHaven Cloud Disaster Recovery
Avoid the enormous costs of IT downtime and data loss with SafeHaven for CenturyLink Cloud®. It's affordable protection for your on-premise data and production servers. This solution offers the simplicity of CenturyLink’s cloud-to-cloud DR – including self-service, point-and-click interface, and powerful customization options. In addition, with SafeHaven you receive our “white-glove” on-boarding experience to ensure your configuration aligns with your DR strategy.
Highlights of SafeHaven
- Disaster-Recovery-as-a-Service(DRaaS)from on-site to public cloud, or public cloud to public cloud
- Live test failover
- Protection groups
- Runbook automation
Why Choose SafeHaven?
- Easy to get started: Configure and start to deploy in days.
- Affordable: SafeHaven is a fraction of the cost compared to traditional DR solutions.
- Easy to test: Simulate disasters in minutes for additional peace of mind.
- Intuitive interface: Customizing your DR plan is as easy as “point-and-click”.
- Works with VMware: Deep compatibility with the business standard for virtualization. For example, VM and data volumes in multi-tiered applications can be configured in protection groups to help ensure failover and recovery.
Here are a few resources on the topic of Disaster Recovery and how to get started with SafeHaven.
- Disaster Recovery Guide
- Getting Started with SafeHaven Disaster Recovery
- Learn more about Safehaven's Run Book Automation Feature
Double-Take® Disaster Recovery on CenturyLink Cloud
We partnered with Vision Solutions through our MarketPlace Provider Program to provide a reliable disaster recovery plan with minimal infrastructure investment. The Double-Take Blueprint simplifies the deployment process. This option enables you to diversify your existing strategy to avoid a single point-of-failure. If you’re looking for an easy-to-use, scalable, DR solution that protects your data and recovers data across entire servers, whether physical, virtual, or cloud-based resources, then you’ve found it. Double-Take DR is hardware, hypervisor, and platform independent. It’s the optimal solution for cloud-based disaster recovery. Here is an overview of the Double-Take DR process.
Highlights of Double-Take®
- Anything-to-anywhere, cloud-ready disaster protection
- Protect anything-to-anything, anywhere-to-anywhere for total DR flexibility
- Disaster protection that is simple and easy-to-use
- Double-Take® enables customer to have a DR environment created in a just few easy steps
- To get started with Double-Take®, contact Vision Solutions directly by email; evaluation licenses are available.
- Learn about the Ever-Increasing Cloud Disaster Recovery Market.
CommVault Enterprise Backup
We also partnered with CommVault to integrate their enterprise backup technology software, Simpana, with the CenturyLink Cloud. CommVault provides a holistic approach to cloud management that allows you to manage your virtual infrastructure seamlessly across multiple hypervisors and cloud platforms. You can automate and streamline operations over the entire VM lifecycle, from provisioning to protection and decommissioning. The CommVault Simpana Blueprint offers data management to and from the CenturyLink Cloud. The Blueprint also integrates with multiple remote data centers and cloud platforms.
Highlights of CommVault on CenturyLink Cloud®
- The CenturyLink Cloud Blueprint makes it easy to deploy your environment and includes CommVault configuration best practices
- Addresses the business challenges of data growth and protection
- Covers end user protection
- File-level backup solution using de-dupe technology
- A free 30-day evaluation license is available to get started with CommVault. Please contact your CenturyLink account team, or CommVault for additional information.
- Learn more about CommVault
- Get started with the CommVault Storage Blueprint
- If you have more questions about which DR solution is right for your business needs, contact one of our experts to help you build a plan that is right for you.
- Not a CenturyLink customer? Get started with a free trial of CenturyLink Cloud and receive a healthy credit toward any of our products or services. Try our most popular products, or go for another combination of products that works best for your business.