When we shared about some reasons behind building this Dev Center, among them was rounding up the open source tools we've released. We expect to grow this section a lot over time, and there's a good reason to expect more from CenturyLink on open source. As of today, we've updated our policy to further embrace open source technology and give back to the developer community.
Here are some highlights of the policy from Jared Wray's post:
- Any engineer can contribute to a project as long as they follow the project’s guidelines. If they want to do this during working hours they just need their manager’s permission.
- While building products and services, it is acceptable and encouraged to use open source technology where it makes sense, abiding by common rules such as acceptable licensing formats that are approved.
- Before major contributions or new open source projects are released we ask that you follow standard practices and also receive guidance and approvals from the oss team which you can email at [email protected].
- For any questions on open source at CenturyLink engineers or anyone outside CenturyLink can email [email protected].
- Open Source projects that are provided by CenturyLink will be listed in our developer center.
This simple-yet-powerful policy should make for more contributions to the community and more chances to talk code with you.