FAQ for Installing and Implementing IPS Anywhere for CenturyLink Dedicated Cloud Compute (DCC)
This document is intended to summarize (aka Quick Start) the installation and notification configuration steps for CLC’s IPS “Anywhere” service as derived from the services public KBs.
- Compatible server OS
- IPS supports all Managed DCC OS Images at this time
- Supported OSs KB: https://www.ctl.io/knowledge-base/security/supported-ips-oses/
- Firewall Rules
- Centurylink Cloud Account
- Admin or SUDO/root server privileges
Installing IPS on Target Server
The IPS “Anywhere” install requires 1-2 command lines to initiate the install of the servers IPS agent and automatically handles all of the backend configurations behinds the scenes.
|CLC_USERNAME||string||Control Portal user name value||Yes|
|CLC_PASSWORD||string||Control Portal password value.||Yes|
Linux-based Operating Systems
curl https://api.client-security.ctl.io/ips/scripts/install.sh | sudo CLC_USERNAME=<your.clc.username> CLC_PASSWORD=<your.clc.password> CLOUD_PROVIDER=CTL_DCC bash
Windows-based Operating Systems
Set Server to Accept Install
Set-ExecutionPolicy -ExecutionPolicy RemoteSigned -Scope Process
(New-Object System.Net.WebClient).DownloadFile("https://api.ts.client-security.ctl.io/ips/scripts/install.ps1","$env:temp\install.ps1") ; cd $env:temp ; .\install.ps1 -controlUser "<your.clc.account>" -controlUserPassword "<your.clc.password>" -accountAlias "<your.clc.account,alias>" -cloudProvider "CTL_DCC"
There are two ways to set/update IPS event notifications. The first is to send a request to email@example.com for the Client Security Team and the second is to send a request to the IPS API directly.
If sending an email, send the following data as needed:
- The servers to update the notification on
- The email addresses or email addresses to send notifications to.
- The WebHook URL to send notifications to. NOTE: There can only be 1 WebHook setup.
- The syslog server to forward event data to. NOTE: There can only be 1 syslog server setup.
The full documentation for the IPS API is documented in the KB link listed below. Examples of how to request each of the notification mediums (Email, Slack, Webhook, & Syslog) are reviewed.
Additional KBs and Links
Product Details: https://www.ctl.io/intrusion-prevention-service/
KB Repository (All of CLC’s IPS KBs, current and future, can be found in our KB repository): https://www.ctl.io/knowledge-base/security/#1
- Videos to help with Installation
- Demonstration about Why IPS is needed in addition to Anti-Virus: https://www.ctl.io/blog/post/anti-virus-is-not-enough/