Lumen Cloud supports importing and exporting data through portable storage devices into our data centers. This article provides an overview of this billable service. Billable charge details can be found on our pricing page.
Service Task Prioritization
- Refer to our ticket prioritization matrix
- Lumen Cloud Customers
- All data must be encrypted. The following tools are supported:
- BitLocker Compatible Mode for Windows if using a supported OS version
- 7-Zip for Windows with AES-256 and password
- GnuPrivacyGuard (GPG) for Windows if BitLocker is not supported
- dm-crypt, p7zip or GPG for Linux OS variants
- Include all power sources and connection cables required for the device
- USB 2.0 or above
- Device formatted with NTFS filesystem – FAT32 will not support large files
- Device cannot have any external locking mechanisms that could require multiple touches to remain available
- For data import, ensure that there is enough disk space available on the cloud server receiving the data
- Prepaid return shipping label
Portable devices will not be kept for more than 5 days after the transfer is completed. If arrangements have not been made to return the device. The device will be detached and destroyed.
Domain specific NTFS ACLs
If you are using domain specific ACLs. You must grant the "everyone" group full permissions. Without these permissions, we will not have access to copy or wipe data.
Requesting an Import/Export
Create a Ticket through the Lumen Cloud Ticketing system
- Indicate the datacenter where the portable device will be sent
- Indicate the expected ship date and expected arrival date of the device
- Provide the password for the encryption only via the ticket
- Provide the location address to send the device after the data copy is completed
- Provide the names of the servers involved
- Provide details on what needs to be imported/exported (OVA/OVF and/or pathnames to files/directories)
- Provide any additional details about the data to be imported/exported
- Provide pre-paid shipping method and/or FedEx account number to be charged for return shipping.
Our team will reply with the data center mailing address and a data center logistics ticket number must be included on the shipping label. Note that the logistics number is different than the Lumen Cloud ticket number.
Ship or deliver portable device to the datacenter - include the datacenter specific ticket number (provided by Service Task) on the shipping label.
Our team will receive the device, connect it to a dedicated import/export server and scan for viruses and malware. If our antivirus process detects any threats or vulnerabilities, the device will be disconnected from our server and returned. No data will be transferred from an infected device onto our network. If the device is free from viruses and malware, we will perform the import/export.
Our team will periodically update the ticket for this request as we progress with the work.
Once the data is copied and the request is completed, Lumen Cloud will ship the device via the pre-paid return shipping method provided.
Note that the drive will be wiped prior to return shipping if used for import.
If our team needs to apply encryption to an export, a password will be provided in the ticket.
Q: Will Lumen Cloud provide for shipping costs?
A: No, shipping costs are the responsibility of the customer. The customer should provide prepaid return shipping label in the shipping materials.
Q: Can I provide unencrypted data?
A: No, we will not accept any portable devices that are not encrypted. We will not ship any data out of the data center that is not encrypted.
Q: Can I use Windows 10 XTS-AES bitlocker encryption? (Windows 10 version 1511 or later)
A: No, please encrypt drive with compatible mode.
Q: Can Lumen Cloud provide a portable device?
A: No, we no longer provide portable devices to customers for this process.
Q: Where can I ship data?
A: Data must come from the country in which the datacenter is located. We will not ship data out of the country of origin.
Q: What are the Lumen Cloud data centers located?
A: Check out our Data Centers Location page for detailed information about where you can find our datacenters.
Q: What limitations of liability are imposed?
A: Lumen Cloud is not responsible for the loss or damage of the device, please ensure that you have a backup of your data. Customer acknowledges that portable devices contain no malicious content, and will not damage or compromise Lumen Cloud equipment.